So ... every time you upgrade the kernel, VMWare barfs because kernel headers have changed. Usually I look around for patches to the VMWare sources, but this time there were none I could find, so I figured it was my turn.
This simple patch makes VMWare Player 4.0.0 work with Linux 3.1.0. At least it seems to work. What I did to patch it in:
$ mkdir /tmp/vmware $ cd /tmp/vmware $ wget http://thewalter.net/stef/misc/vmnet-4.0.0-linux-3.1.0.patch $ tar -xvf /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar $ patch -p0 < vmnet-4.0.0-linux-3.1.0.patch $ sudo cp /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar.bak $ sudo tar -cvf /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar vmnet-only
And then run vmplayer and let it do its install thing. It says that the services fail to start (systemd incompatibility), but it works regardless.
Note: If you try this and it doesn't work for you (or makes your doggy sad), don't complain to me. Complain to VMWare.